The Video Game Librarian Pick of the Week is yet another three-way tie.
Believe it or not, Bungie released the original version of Destiny nearly two years ago. After building up a devoted fanbase that continues to obsessively play the shooter to the this day, the developer launched the game’s final expansion this week. The Rise of Iron expansion will be exclusively available to download from the PlayStation Store and Xbox Games Store, but players who haven’t yet jumped into Destiny’s universe should pick up Destiny: The Collection this week for the PC, PS4, and Xbox One. In addition to the original game and Rise of Iron, The Collection will also include all of Destiny’s previously released expansion content… Expansion I: The Dark Below, Expansion II: House of Wolves, and The Taken King. Destiny: The Collection is highly recommended for all your patrons who love shooters.
Also recommended this week is Killer Instinct: Definitive Edition, which technically made its debut during the Xbox One’s launch period. The Definitive Edition is a collected edition that includes all 26 characters and 20 stages from the game’s first three seasons, as well as a pair of bonus games (Killer Instinct Classic and Killer Instinct 2 Classic). Fans of fighting games will definitely enjoy seeing it on the shelf.
Finally this week, Atlus published Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, a side-story to the original Shin Megami Tensei IV, for the 3DS. Fans of the weird world of Japanese RPGs will enjoy the chance to check this one out.
All Links in “This Week’s New Releases + Game News” are Provided by Warp Zoned.
New Release Round-Up
- Retail Releases: Destiny: The Collection, Killer Instinct: Definitive Edition, Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, more
- Nintendo Download: Severed, Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, River City: Tokyo Rumble, more
- PlayStation Store: Destiny: Rise of Iron, Batman: The Telltale Series – Episode 2, Dear Esther, more
- Xbox Games Store (Wednesday): Firewatch, Destiny: Rise of Iron, Batman: The Telltale Series – Episode 2, more
- Xbox Games Store (Friday): Virginia, The Bunker, Eventide: Slavic Fable
Warp Zoned’s Weekly Warp-Up
While it still remains shrouded in mystery, the Nintendo NX got a big boost this week when the CEO of The Pokemon Company confirmed that a Pokemon game is in development for the Nintendo NX.
Finally this week, Chris Cobb published Part Four in his look at the history of horror games… It’s In Your Blood: A History of Horror Games.
New Game Announcements
- From Software has three games in development including the next entry in the Armored Core franchise.
Pre-Launch Updates and Release Date Announcements
- Respawn revealed the system requirements for Titanfall 2.
- 2K Games revealed the Season Pass and other downloadable content they have planned for WWE 2K17.
- Gearbox delivered a handful of details on Duke Nukem 3D‘s new episode.
- Tetsuya Mizuguchi tried to explain Rez Infinite‘s “Area X.”
- Hideo Kojima said that Death Stranding will be released before 2019.
Other Game News
- Doom’s “Free Update 3” added Deathmatch, Private Matches, and Custom Matches to the game.
- The next Assassin’s Creed game will “revolutionize” the franchise
- Rocksteady officially “breaks up” with Batman to begin work on their dream game.
- Dark Souls III – “Ashes of Ariandel Gameplay Trailer”
- Dead Rising 4 – “Return to the Mall”
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – “Cooking”
- Metal Gear Survive – “Tokyo Game Show 2016 Trailer”
- Forza Horizon 3 – “Launch Trailer”
- Gears of War 4 – “Launch Trailer”
- Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age – “Tokyo Game Show 2016 Trailer”