The Video Game Librarian Pick of the Week is
Super Mario Maker (Wii U), a level creation game for Nintendo’s most beloved character. Super Mario Maker allows players to create levels based on characters and obstacles found in Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and New Super Mario Bros. U. After they’re finished, they can play these levels and share them with the world through the game’s built-in level browser. The creativity seen in some of the demo levels is outstanding and the game comes with 60 pre-built levels to get players started… so it also serves double duty as the latest side-scrolling Mario game.
Another interesting new release this week is Tearaway Unfolded (PS4), Media Molecule’s adaptation of a puzzle platformer they originally released for the Vita in 2013. Taking place in a “papercraft world,” players have to solve puzzles and overcome obstacles to make it to the end.
Other New Retail Releases
New Release Round-Up For Downloadable Games
- Nintendo Download: Super Mario Maker, Tecmo Bowl, Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX, more
- PlayStation Store: Tearaway Unfolded, Rugby World Cup 2015, Beyond Eyes, more
- Xbox Games Store (Wednesday): Castle Crashers Remastered, Lovers In A Dangerous Spacetime, ClusterPuck 99, more
- Xbox Games Store (Friday): Rugby League Live 3, Draw A Stickman: Epic, Leo’s Fortune
Release Date Updates
- Warp Zoned regularly publishes a digest of newly-announced and newly-changed release dates. The latest Video Game Release Calendar Changelog covers as many recent release date announcements as they could find including Star Fox Zero, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, and many more.
New Game Announcements
- Pokemon Go is an augmented reality game that’ll let you catch Pokemon out in the real world through your mobile devices in 2016.
- Apple revealed the gaming-capable All New Apple TV this week.
- Darksiders II will be released for the PS4 on October 6.
- The NPD Group revealed that Madden NFL 16 was the best-selling game of August 2015.
- The SteelSeries Nimbus will be the first console-style controller available for the All-New Apple TV.
- Yacht Club Games will release the Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows expansion on September 17. And don’t forget, it’ll be free to download.
- Activision increased the total number of announced songs for Guitar Hero Live to 110 this week.
- Nintendo released a new Wii U + Mario Kart 8 Bundle that also includes all of its downloadable content.
- Here’s a surprise… Shigeru Miyamoto said that Pikmin 4 is “very close to completion.”
- Director Tetsuya Nomura said that development on Kingdom Hearts III’s “basic systems” is done.
- Destiny: The Taken King – “Cinematic Trailer”
The Video Game Librarian’s Game News is Provided by Warp Zoned.