The Video Game Librarian Pick of the Week is
Battleborn (PC, PS4, Xbox One), a “Hero Shooter” from Gearbox. According to the developer, a “Hero Shooter” is a game where players will be able to choose from over 25 different characters (some of whom that don’t even like guns) to fight back against an evil mastermind trying to control “the last star in the universe.” It’s pulpy sci-fi from the people who made the Borderlands franchise, what’s not to like?
All Links in “This Week’s New Releases + Game News” are Provided by Warp Zoned.
New Release Round-Up
- Retail Releases: Battleborn
- Nintendo Download: Pocket Card Jockey, Super Punch-Out!!, Style Savvy, more
- PlayStation Store: Battleborn, Neverending Nightmares, Shadow Complex Remastered, more
- Xbox Games Store (Wednesday): Superhot, The Park, Battleborn
- Xbox Games Store (Friday): Coffin Dodgers, Mystery Castle, Azkend 2: The World Beneath
The battle lines are being redrawn as Activision and EA will go head-to-head this Fall with Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare and Battlefield 1. However, players will get the chance to choose whether they want to go back to the future with Infinite Warfare or travel back in time to Battlefield 1’s World War I setting. Naturally, the two gaming superpowers had a lot to say about their marquee franchises this week.
On the Call of Duty front, Activision delivered a Debut Trailer for this November’s game, while also revealing that Deluxe Editions will come packaged with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered. They later announced a few details on Infinity Ward’s first Zombies Mode, and confirmed that Modern Warfare Remastered will not be sold on its own.
Meanwhile, EA dropped a lot of details about Battlefield 1’s World War I setting, and unveiled a massive Collector’s Edition and a special Early Enlister Edition that’ll be available three days before the regular release date.
In the more immediate future, we published the latest entry in our Kickstart This! series, which took a look at In the Shadows this week. The Warp Zoned staff also got together to discuss What We Played in April 2016 and The Games of May 2016.
Finally, the World Video Game Hall of Fame announced their Class of 2016, which included The Legend of Zelda, Grand Theft Auto III, Sonic the Hedgehog, Space Invaders, The Oregon Trail, and The Sims.
New Game Announcements
- Turtle Rock Studios is developing an original narrative-driven game.
- Respawn Entertainment is working on a Star Wars game for EA.
- Relic unveiled Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III with an epic announcement trailer.
- Bethesda released Doom‘s System Requirements.
- PC and Xbox One owners will be able to buy the Call of Duty: Black Ops III Eclipse DLC Pack on May 19.
- Splatoon‘s first global Splatfest will “Fancy Party” fans versus “Costume Party” aficionados.
- Nintendo reiterated that The Legend of Zelda Wii U will be their focus at E3 2016.
- Fallout 4: Far Harbor got a new trailer and a May 19 release date.
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire was released on GOG.com for Star Wars Day.
- Wii U owners can dig into Terraria beginning on June 28.
- Dishonored 2 will be released on November 11, and Bethesda plans to deliver a full reveal at E3 2016.
- Splatoon’s Squid Sisters will get their own Amiibo figures on July 8.
- Mighty No. 9‘s release date is “set in stone” for June 21.
- Super Meat Boy will finally be released for the Wii U on May 12.