The Video Game Librarian Pick of the Week includes a trio of re-releases and a beautiful puzzle platformer.
Leading things off, Capcom released Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers for the Switch on Friday, May 26. The publisher is hoping that this re-release will introduce the arcade classic to an entirely new generation, but it also includes a brand new first-person minigame, new color variations for all characters, and two new fighters (Evil Ryu and Violent Ken).
Another re-release that made its way to the Switch this week was courtesy of NIS America. The import house launched Disgaea 5 Complete on Nintendo’s console, which includes the original strategy RPG and all of its downloadable content.
THQ Nordic also brought the original Darksiders to the Wii U as Darksiders: Warmastered Edition. This new version of the action/adventure game include enhanced visuals and redone graphical effects, and was previously released for the PS4 and Xbox One.
But if you’re looking for new and never-before-seen games this week, Tequila Works brought their puzzle platformer Rime to the PS4 and Xbox One. Featuring a unique and moody graphical style, the exploration game should offer an interesting change of pace.
More “New Retail Releases” can be found at Warp Zoned, and this week’s “News Headlines” are available after the break.
All Links in “This Week’s New Releases + Game News” are Provided by Warp Zoned.
Headlines: May 22
- OPINION: It’s 2017 and Adventure Games Are Mainstream Again
- Rockstar delays Red Dead Redemption 2 to Spring 2018
- Housemarque will release Nex Machina on June 20
- Inti Creates will release Mighty Gunvolt Burst for the Switch and 3DS this Summer
- Inti Creates will re-release Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack on the Switch in August
- Cliff Bleszinski’s LawBreakers is also in the works for the PS4
- Ubisoft offers a first look at Far Cry 5’s sinister Montana setting
Headlines: May 23
- 2K Games officially announces a Fall 2017 release for WWE 2K18
- Spider-Man’s Tom Holland will star as a young Nathan Drake in the Uncharted movie
- Nintendo announces schedule for Arms Global Testpunch
- Overwatch Anniversary event is now live with over 100 new Anniversary-themed items
- Capcom will re-release Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen for the PS4, Xbox One this Fall
Headlines: May 24
- NEW RELEASES: Friday the 13th, Rime, Gwent, Marvel Heroes Omega, more coming to PS Store this week
- NEW RELEASES: Xbox Store Today: Unit 4, Gwent Open Beta, A Walk in the Dark, more
- Take-Two has shipped more than 80 million copies of Grand Theft Auto V and GTA Online is more popular than ever
- Take-Two will release a “new title from one of 2K’s biggest franchises” in 2018
- First Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 trailer throws a ton of characters at the screen
Headlines: May 25
- NEW RELEASES: Nintendo Download: Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers, Disgaea 5 Complete, more
- Capcom will add revamped CFN online service, new Targets, Ed, Spain stage to Street Fighter V on May 30
- Netflix’s Castlevania series will debut on July 7… and here’s the first teaser trailer
- Xbox Game Pass launches June 1 but Gold subscribers can try it out now
- Far Cry 5 box art hints at a story involving a religious cult and a lot of guns
- Beyond Good & Evil 2 won’t be at E3 2017, but Ubisoft will reveal it sometime this year
- Quake Champions adds Sorlag, a dinosaur with a gun, to its character roster
Headlines: May 26 – 28
- FEATURE: The Scientifically Proven Best Video Games of All Time #14: Street Fighter II
- NEW RELEASES: Xbox Store Today: Friday the 13th, Rime, World Heroes 2
- The Amazing Race asked contestants to play Street Fighter V last night
- Sqaure Enix: Kingdom Hearts III, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Avengers Project will be released “in the next three years or so”
- Giant pillbugs and new vehicles roll into the latest Earth Defense Force 5 trailer
- Telltale will release Guardians of the Galaxy: Episode 2 on June 6
- Get a look at Far Cry 5’s creepy cult in the game’s first trailer