The Video Game Librarian Pick of the Week is F1 2016, the latest open wheel racing simulation from Codemasters. Available now for the PC, PS4, and Xbox One, F1 2016 will feature an enhanced Career Mode, as well as the complete 2016 FIA Formula One World Championship schedule with 21 tracks and 22 drivers.
Also of note this week is a pair of 3DS titles from Nintendo. Metroid Prime: Federation Force is a co-op-focused spinoff from the main Metroid series that doesn’t star intergalactic bounty hunter Samus Aran. Instead, players will join up with a squad of Galactic Federation Marines as they do battle with Metroids and Space Pirates on a distant planet.
Meanwhile, Style Savvy: Fashion Forward is the third game in Nintendo’s fashion franchise, and it’ll give budding business owners the chance to stock thousands of items in their boutique or “design clothes fit for a fashionista, style some wicked hair, master the art of make-up, and even become the next top model.”
All Links in “This Week’s New Releases + Game News” are Provided by Warp Zoned.
New Release Round-Up
- Retail Releases: Metroid Prime: Federation Force, Style Savvy: Fashion Forward, F1 2016, more
- Nintendo Download: Metroid Prime: Federation Force, Style Savvy: Fashion Forward, Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs, more
- PlayStation Store: Inversus, Grow Up, Uno, more
- Xbox Games Store (Wednesday): Uno, Grow Up, Valentino Rossi, more
- Xbox Games Store (Friday): Slime Rancher (Game Preview), F1 2016
Warp Zoned’s Weekly Warp-Up
This year’s Gamescom expo was a relatively low-key event, though Konami managed to surprise everyone by announcing Metal Gear Survive, the first game in the Metal Gear franchise without Hideo Kojima’s involvement. Though we still know very little about it, fans don’t seem pleased that Konami decided to add interdimensional zombies to a franchise best known for its deeply philosophical themes.
Less surprising was The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild‘s coronation as the “Best of Gamescom.” After it’s massive unveiling at E3, Nintendo’s upcoming adventure game continues to overshadow every other game currently in development.
Elsewhere on Warp Zoned this week, we took a look at Dangerous Golf, the first game from the ex-Burnout devs at Three Fields Entertainment.
New Game Announcements
- Activision officially announced Destiny: The Collection will be available on September 20.
Pre-Launch Updates and Release Date Announcements
- Capy delayed Below, but it’ll have a “firm release date” the next time we hear from them.
- Metanet Software will release N++ for PC on August 25.
- 2K Games added 36 more wrestlers to WWE 2K17 including “Macho Man” Randy Savage.
- Suicide Squad members Harley Quinn and Deadshot have been added to Injustice 2.
- Titanfall 2‘s “Open Multiplayer Technical Test” kicked off this weekend on the PS4 and Xbox One.
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare’s Zombies Mode will go back to the 80s with “Zombies In Spaceland.”
- Axiom Verge will be released for the Wii U on September 1.
- Square Enix delayed Final Fantasy XV‘s release to November 29.
Other Game News
- Splatoon‘s “Testfire Demo” will return next week.
- Microsoft will host a Pre-PAX Open House for ID@Xbox games on September 1.
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – “Magnesis Trial”
- Madden NFL 17 – “Start Me”
- Overwatch – “Animated Short: The Last Bastion”
- Resident Evil 7: Biohazard – “Gamescom 2016 Trailer”
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – “Temple of Time”